Even the big boys can have a bad day…
Recently a pic of a livery mistake on a Cathay Pacific jet went viral on social media – well viral in the world of plane and brand watchers at least. Somehow, someone in the chain from Brand Management to livery application made a howler and it was captured and shared before anyone realised. To their credit, the global airline didn’t panic, saw the humour and ran with it (before quickly fixing the error). A spokesperson for Cathay Pacific said; “We did not intend to make it a big fuss in the first place, but photos went viral within the aviation enthusiastic groups, so we just shared the hilarious moment with everyone.”
And there’s the moral of the story. Everyone who has ever managed a brand has made a mistake of some magnitude, it goes with the job. The point is all about how you handle those mistakes when they occur.
5 tips for managing brand mishaps:
01. Don’t try to cover it up.
02. Admit your mistake – consumers and clients alike will respond positively to honest mistakes if you own them.
03. Work out how to make it right as quickly as possible.
04. Communicate what your plan is to sort the issue.
05. Wherever appropriate, be prepared to laugh at yourself. Humility is a rare, but value brand attribute.
David is the founder of Truly Deeply, a brand agency with 25 years of experience working with brands to position them for growth. His deep expertise is in the creation of high engagement brands that attract the attention of their audience and stand out from their competitors. David has extensive experience working with corporate, retail, food & beverage and entrepreneurial clients. Find out more here
For monthly updates of our thinking, click here to receive our free Brand Newsletter