brand communications design agencyUnbeatable Business Card Design
When it comes to business card design, this one is pretty much unbeatable. Jorgen Vig Knudstorp, the 42-year old Chief Executive of Danish toymaker Lego has a business card in the shape of a 1.5 inch tall Lego man manufactured to look like Mr. Knudstorp himself – complete with beard and glasses. His contact information is printed on the back. A great piece of brand story telling with sooo much brand personality.

This little beauty was originally from Wall Street Journal, via, brandflakesforbreakfast and emotive brands.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to “The Humble Business Card re-imagined as Bold Brand Communication by Lego”

1. Tim says:

Lego seems to be the masters of re-imaging brand experiences / brand storytelling at the moment. What a perfect idea!

2. david says:

Yeah Tim, they do seem to get the idea of creating memorable brand interactions. If we compare them to other toy brands, they seem far better at leveraging the magic of their brand essence.

3. Domma says:

That’s gotta be one of the best brand storytelling gestures of all time. Can you imagine someone saying to Mr Knudstorp where do you work? I think not!

4. John Hart says:

I think this is great but I bet that in real size I would have to put my glasses on to read his name. I would like to see the reverse to see whether the wording requires glasses as well.
      I was once given a card by an old gardener, he said “I’ll give you one of my pensioners cards”. “Cheeky git” thinks me . He went on to say how most older folk or at least those of a certain age put cards behind the clock on the mantle piece and then when they want to give you a ring they know where the card is. But if they can’t read the number they wonder where they left their glasses, ah yes the bedroom, and off they go. On the way they pass the kitchen. “Cup of tea”, they think and go in the kitchen.
      Because of the size of your text you have just missed your marketing opportunity.
      Can I read your business card without my glasses?

5. david says:

Good point Domma, great brand communications also have a practical function – just as we were taught back in graphic design school.

6. david says:

You make a great point John. Creativity without functionality is like design without purpose. As a brand interacts with different markets it needs to be aware of the communication barriers for each market. Small type on the business card can indeed be cause for a marketing breakdown.

7. Advocate says:

I wonder if a lot of Mr Knudstorp’s cards get left behind the clock on the mantel?
      Do you think he deals with a lot of pensioners?

It’s as important to leave a memorable calling card as a legible one, if you can’t differentiate yourself or your brand with what is the most basic business communication device your in brand trouble.

8. david says:

Thanks advocate – and this is the crux of brand design – yes it has to be practical, but you can’t compromise creative differentiation and great brand experience to take account of the lowest common denominator. The best brand communication solutions always take care of both.

9. Ron says:

What a great piece of brand communication. It is a perfect and memorable calling card for the CEO of Lego. If I was to get one it would definitely go on the mantel, although not behind the clock, it would go right in front for all to see.

Legibility aside, there are several levels of brand communication at play here. The delight of receiving such a unique calling card, the urge to show and tell people of the memorable experience and conversations around having the little man displayed in front of the clock on my mantel. For my money these communication scenarios far out way the slight in legibility, after all he is the CEO of Lego, not your local jack of all trades.

10. david says:

Thanks Ron, you hit about a dozen nails on the head here. Great brand communications have a whole range of business benefits. Whilst it is important to get the practicalities like legibility right, the process shouldn’t be compromised by the need to cater to every member of the market. On the other hand, a business card for a retirement village with the details printed in 8 point would be a pretty ordinary brand design solution.

11. best webdesign…

[…]The Humble Business Card re-imagined as Bold Brand Communication by Lego | Truly Deeply/Madly[…]…

12. Paula Mantle says:

Pish Posh to the large type discussion. Let’s celebrate this fun idea. I say that after working 8 years for an aged care centre who demanded minimum 12pt text on everything. I know!. Dismissing this idea because you can’t fit 12pt information on it is ridiculous. Besides, people who have decent sight will find the design unappealing when everything is crammed on. We can really SEE how bad it looks :) so you’d lose me if there was 12pt text on there. Who’s the audience? That’s the question. Let’s celebrate design for function as well as design which throws all rules out the window. Love it! – Paula Mantle – Art Director – Biscuit Interactive